That`s MS. Terrible Foreigner to you!

Thursday, November 09, 2006

patriotic, i guess

So I have to talk for 20 minutes (in english, thank god) to some high school kids next week when we go and be foreigners on display again. I had to write for the school what i planned to talk about. I started thinking about Canada, and what i could possibly say about it that would be interesting. the Japanese are usually interested in the "image" of a place, so i thought i would talk a bit about how people differ from province to province. I started with that, and ended up with a page full of notes of just random things that say Canada to me. For culture, I started with hockey. Under that, i wrote gay marriage. Then I looked at the two together and was quite amused. There you have it people. My country. Red-necks and socialists. I was very happy with my page of notes though, and i think i will enjoy the talk more than the poor kids who wont be able to understand me. I am interested in what everyone else thinks of when they think of canada, so leave me some notes, if you have the time. The other noteables i wrote - kraft dinner, winter, nature, beer, a non-existant army, a sense of humour that i cant quite describe, irish reels, moose, trees. All in all it made me a bit homesick. Not for you losers, but for my country. Appreciate it, guys. As much as other places are exciting and different, Canada ... I cant even describe it, but its home, and a big chunk of what i am. This being said, yesterday afternoon i was convinced I wanted to live in Japan forever. Maybe its the listening to great big sea that did it. Anyway, today, tell your country that you love it, ok? Im thinking when i get back i will hassle anyone whose arm i can twist (maybe cole?) into a road trip across our lovely horrible land.

In other news, I ate something strange last night. Surprise, right? Im chewing something i assume to be odd seaweed, when Okaasan asks me if its alright, and tells me the name. Of course i have no idea what it is, so i tell her its fine, and keep chewing. Then Hiroe goes for the dictionary, and i think that its odd that she finds it necessary to translate the odd seaweed name. Then she finds it, and tells me, and my eyes pop out....Jellyfish. I ate jellyfish. I couldnt even hide the look on my face when she said it, i was so surprised. "Really? Its jellyfish? Wow!" Okaasan started worrying that i was creeped out since i knew what it was, but it was alright, and i finished eating it. The taste was fine, just the chewiness was a bit odd. Anyway, i was damn amused after. the list of seafoods that i have eaten that before i would never touch is very long now. jellyfish, and squid, and octopus, crab, shellfish of many kinds, and im sure there are others im forgetting. Oh, like whole tiny fish. Also!! Everyone go out and look for a persimmon, ok? Its a fruit, and i want to know if its the same as the type here, because it is REALLY good. If you find one, send me a picture ok? I have more to say, but class, so, it will have to wait.

5 Comments:

  • Jellyfish eh? Can't say I've had the pleasure of that one yet. How was it? Sweet, salty, bitter? Does it have a strong flavour? How was it prepared? *nerds out chef style*

    Oh and as far as I know persimmons here are roughly tomato shaped orange things that are very tasty.

    By Blogger GopherX, at 7:24 PM  

  • It sounds like persimmons are the right thing then! They are a big time autumn fruit here, and ive eaten a lot of them, and i loooove them.

    The jellyfish was just like odd seaweed. It was really chewy, in a goopy strange way,and it was in strips in my salad. The taste is not very strong at all. I barely even remember it compared to the texture. I think it was a little bit salty, but nothing remarkable.

    By Blogger Andrea, at 8:18 PM  

  • Ewy!! Permissons are so icky!! i bought them this time last year, and couldn't stomach them... we used them for the eyes of our snowmen, which, I might add was kinda creepy!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 AM  

  • I Would love to go one a road trip as long as i get a Cd player in my car before we leave i had many trips this year without one!! so annoying

    By Blogger Cole, at 3:40 PM  

  • To me, Canada is...the birthplace of basketball! And mounties! And maple syrup. And wide stretches of land that are sparsely populated (think, the Yukon). Ok, not really, but I hope that helps.

    By Blogger JJ, at 6:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home